It is important for any business or individual that data is backed up and easily restored if ever required. There are a number of methods of doing this and most people will use memory pens, external hard drives and in some cases CD/DVD's. An alternative solution would be to use an online solution.
This type of service would back up your data using your broadband connection and could be scheduled to run at a convenient time without disruption. This service would also provide a quick and easy method to restore your data to a new computer system if required. With most online services data can be restored remotely to any computer and in some cases files can be viewed and accessed through a web based interface.
There are a number of providers of this service some of which are listed below:
- Perfect Backup (www.perfectbackup.co.uk) Free 30 day trial with costs starting from £15 per month for 20Gb.
- BT Digital Vault (https://sh.digitalvault.bt.com) Free with some BT Business broadband connections fro £15 per month.
- Securstore (www.securstore.com) Free 30 day trial with costs starting from £15 per month.
- Backup Direct (www.backupdirect.net) Free evaluation with prices starting from £10 per month
- iDrive (www.idrive.com) Free for 5Gb of storage with prices starting from £9.95 per month for 50Gb.
An alternative could be to use a data sharing facility such as Google Drive. Please see our Cloud Computing section for further information.